Friday, April 29, 2011

Oh, My Papa - Part 1

Malachi 4:5 and 6 are two very curious and fascinating verses of scripture. They're the last two verses of the Protestant Old Testament.

"See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts os the children to their fathers, or else I will come and strike the land with a curse." (NIV)

I don't want to get too far into the 'eschatological ramifications' (how's THAT for some theological-ese?) of this verse. What I really want to focus on here is the fact that it seems like it's important to God that fathers and sons get along.

You may have had, or continue to have, a very close and wonderful relationship with your father. You may even see him as a hero, a pal, a best friend or a mentor.

Many men, however, don't. And much of the difficulty that men have these day stems from the fact that they've struggled, or continue to struggle DEEPLY in their relationship with their fathers.

Even though I loved my father, I struggled a great deal in my relationship with him.

In reality, he was quite a remarkable fellow. He was born in 1917 and had grown up on a homestead farm in South Dakota. He hung out with the Sioux and attended their Pow-Wows even though he was not Native American. He lived through the depression. He served in the Army during WWII (although he never saw combat). He worked hard all his life in the lumber industry.

When I hit my teens, somehow our relationship became somewhat antagonistic. I just chalked a lot of it up to the usual clashes that come when kids enter 'teen-dom.' There were certain areas where Dad and I jived really well, but then there were areas where we constantly came to loggerheads.

Flash forward - Resolution for my conflict came when Dad went into a nursing home and the doctor he'd been avoiding for many years came back into his life (long unnecessary story). Among several things the doctor told us about Dad was that he'd most likely had Alzheimer's for a number of years.

Upon hearing this, all of the angst I'd ever had toward my father disapeared. My struggles with him suddenly made sense. I had read a little about Alzheimer's and knew that it isn't just about forgetfulness. Among the many symptoms, one is inordinate bouts of anger accompanied by wild mood swings.

I had been the target of many of those mood swings, often when no one else was around to witness them. Hearing this information from the doctor allowed me to instantly forgive my father and make peace in my heart with him.

I will continue to discuss this topic of relationships between fathers and sons in further posts. Please feel free to comment on this post.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are finally a grown up when you can forgive your parents for what you perceive as personal assaults when in fact they are illnesses. None the less, in forgiving-comes healing. Lord, please bring this into my heart. In Jesus name. Amen!

    ReplyDelete